Kimberwood Farm

Shetland Sheep, Emily, Tru & Rabb our Border Collies,
        and all my various knitting projects.


Poor Rabbie

Poor Rabbie had to go to the vet today. This morning I noticed while he was eating that he had a good size tear in his skin. It was pretty deep too. I think he must have had a close encounter with the sharp side of a hog panel. We have lots of them and some that are not currently being used leaning against a fence inside the barn. When Emily and Rabb are "helping" with chores they get pretty intense when the sheep come in the barn. Rabb must have ran right into one.

The vet had to trim the edges of the cut before stapling it together. She told me they do this all the time to gun dogs without sedating them. Since Rabb is only 6 months old now I decided he shouldn't be put through that so he was sedated.
Here you see the staples which of course need to come out after I leave for the UK. The vet was kind enough to loan us a staple remover so Bob can take them out. Poor Rabbie.......

Labels:

2 Responses to “Poor Rabbie”

  1. # Blogger Becky Utecht

    Oh, the poor little guy! I stitched up a chicken once after my brother's dog mauled it. I used white thread and a needle, no anesthesia. Amazingly that bird was quite still through the process and the stitches did the trick. They were hard to find 10 days later, I never knew if I got them all out or not. Best wishes to the Rabbe and to Bob when he removes the staples.  

  2. # Blogger shepherdchik

    Oh! Poor thing. I haven't seen vets use staples that much, usually stitches. But I suppose they cannot chew the staples out so easily. With humans, we do frequently do staples without local andesthesia if there are only a few staples because to numb it up would take more pokes than the staples. But still it always seems so inhumane.  

Post a Comment

My Photo
Name:
Location: Prior Lake, Minnesota, United States

I am a Shetland addict. I am a wool addict. I am a yarn addict. I love to spin, knit and raise sheep. I am owned by Emily and Rabb, my Border Collies who love to help me with the sheep. When I'm not knitting, spinning or taking care of my sheep, I work from home designing websites and as a XanGo Independent Distributor.

















Powered by Blogger



© 2006 Kimberwood Farm | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.