Kimberwood Farm

Shetland Sheep, Emily, Tru & Rabb our Border Collies,
        and all my various knitting projects.


Why I've been quiet...


Well, it's real. I'm going to have surgery. It all began about 8 weeks ago when I stepped out of my truck at a Target store onto something that resembled a banana. My right foot slipped out from under me and I caught my self from falling with my left leg. Didn't seem so bad when it happened. I went on to take care of my shopping. It was a bit tender so I let it rest for about 10 days or so before I went for a walk around Clearly Lake. It's a 3.3 mile path I've done many many times. I kept the pace easy, I didn't want to stress my knee. Afterwards I paid for that walk for about a week or 10 days with throbbing pain not only in my left knee but in my hips as well as my other knee. It did finally subside and it seemed I was on the mend again.

A couple weeks later while standing in the entry of our house with dogs all around me, I turned to go back into the kitchen when I felt a "popping" sensation in my knee along with some pretty incredible pain. I knew it was time to find out what exactly was wrong with my knee. I hobbled into the doctor's office the next day. X-rays were taken and I was scheduled for an MRI. It took 4 or 5 days to get the results, I had torn my meniscus. The meniscus is kind of important. It is the padding between the bones that keep them from grinding together.

This morning I had an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon who gave me my options. I could do nothing and have some good days but also have some bad days. It would not heal on its own. Or, I could have it surgically repaired and I could be back in action in just a couple of weeks. I've chosen surgery.

I'm scheduled for July 13th. It's a really good thing I'm not a superstitious person. It's a Friday.

Oh, one more thing the x-rays and the MRI revealed; I also have arthritis in my knee and I suspect in some of the other very necessary joints of my body. I didn't like hearing that 10-15 years down the road, total knee replacement is a possibility. He could have left the numbers out of it!

Penny, want to loan me that walker when you're done with it?

I think I will FALL next time!

4 Responses to “Why I've been quiet...”

  1. # Blogger Michelle

    Sorry to hear about the knee -- and the arthritis! Kathy LeFevre is in the hospital having surgery as I type. I pray that BOTH your surgeries are successful and bring you relief  

  2. # Blogger stephen rouse

    Oh KIm! I'm sorry about the knee problem. I hope the surgery goes well and it really gets repaired well!

    How are plans going for your UK trip?

    Sure wish you were going to be at the AGM! :-)

    stephen  

  3. # Blogger Nancy K.

    Hey Lady ~

    Do you want me to come up and help with shearing? I'm off every Friday and every-other weekend. Of course, I'd have to bring my Bella with me... ;-)

    I feel so sad for you that this had to happen now when you've got your trip to look forward to and Kelly's wedding! Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.  

  4. # Blogger shepherdchik

    Good luck with your surgery today Kim! That surgery goes really well. On the knee replacement - my younger sister had one of hers done this past year (she was in a bad accident 8 yrs ago, so that is why she had a knee replacement at age 30). Her "new" knee is way better than the old one. We'll wait to hear from you. Hope you are back in action quickly.  

Post a Comment

My Photo
Name:
Location: Prior Lake, Minnesota, United States

I am a Shetland addict. I am a wool addict. I am a yarn addict. I love to spin, knit and raise sheep. I am owned by Emily and Rabb, my Border Collies who love to help me with the sheep. When I'm not knitting, spinning or taking care of my sheep, I work from home designing websites and as a XanGo Independent Distributor.

















Powered by Blogger



© 2006 Kimberwood Farm | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.