Kimberwood Farm

Shetland Sheep, Emily, Tru & Rabb our Border Collies,
        and all my various knitting projects.


Jane's Remedy


My friend and fellow Shetland breeder Jane suggested I try this folk remedy to alleviate some of the pain from my arthritis. It sounded interesting so I'm giving it a try. Here is the recipe:

The Amazing Gin-Soaked Raisin Remedy
1 lb. golden raisins
1 pint Gin
Glass bowl
Glass jar with Lid
Spread the golden raisins evenly on the bottom of the glass bowl and pour enough gin over the raisins to completely cover them. Let them stay that way until al the gin is absorbed. It takes about 5-7 days.occasionally stir the mixture. As soon as all the gin has been absorbed, put raisins in the jar and keep it closed. do NOT refrigerate. Each day, eat 9 raisins exactly and only 9 a day. Most people eat them in the morning with breakfast.

Day 1
Day 4


The raisins are soaking up all the gin! There is only about an inch in the bottom of the bowl. I haven't been brave enough to try them yet.....

BTW Jane, I ordered the book you got this from! I wasn't too sure I'd like gin either but it sure smelled good. I'll let you know how they taste. It did bring back some very old memories when I used to drink gin and tonics (a lot of gin and tonics)! ;-)

Labels:

6 Responses to “Jane's Remedy”

  1. # Blogger Nancy K.

    I'll have to try that! I've actually heard of it before. As I recall, it was mentioned on MPR's pharmacy show (I can't think of the name) several times.

    Does it matter if you use golden or regular raisins? I noticed you didn't spare any expense on the GIN.....!

    ;-)  

  2. # Blogger Kim Nikolai

    Only the best for this old body from now on! Besides if I'm going to eat it I may as well enjoy it!

    I don't know if it makes any difference or not. I chose the golden raisins since that is what the recipe Jane gave me asked for.  

  3. # Blogger Becky Utecht

    Hey Kim, I love gin and tonics in the summertime. If you still have some gin left, I'll bring the tonic to MFF!  

  4. # Blogger shepherdchik

    I haven't heard of the raisin thing but I agree with Becky, Tangueray Tonic is always good for whatever ails you! I wonder how they determined that you need exactly 9? And where can I volunteer to be in on that study? I'd think the more raisins, the better you'd feel...  

  5. # Blogger Highland Hollow

    Kim,
    The book is really fun. Has some really crazy sounding remedies in it. Here's a good one: If you have trouble sleeping. Cut up a yellow onion put it in a jar, keep it by your bed if you can't sleep sniff the onion. You should be asleep in 15 min.
    Jane  

  6. # Blogger Unknown

    hello, i just started soaking my golden raisens in gin last nite 5/15/2010. just waiting now for soaking process. when done i will eat 9 gin soaked raisins, i can't wait. i just wish i knew what the calorie count is. do you?  

Post a Comment

My Photo
Name:
Location: Prior Lake, Minnesota, United States

I am a Shetland addict. I am a wool addict. I am a yarn addict. I love to spin, knit and raise sheep. I am owned by Emily and Rabb, my Border Collies who love to help me with the sheep. When I'm not knitting, spinning or taking care of my sheep, I work from home designing websites and as a XanGo Independent Distributor.

















Powered by Blogger



© 2006 Kimberwood Farm | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.