Kimberwood Farm

Shetland Sheep, Emily, Tru & Rabb our Border Collies,
        and all my various knitting projects.


I Can No Longer Endorse......

Last year we built two feeders for our ewe flock using the plans on Premier's website and with panels purchased from Premier. Today we lost a ewe lamb in one of the feeders. I feel it is because of the size of the holes in Premier's panels. We have had one ewe lamb who notoriously has been caught in the panel, she is not the one who died. We have had to cut the panels to release her several times. This time it was a different ewe lamb and this time she died. I think if Premier were to change the size of the holes in their panels so that they are not perfectly square it might not be a problem or at least less of one. None of my crossbred lambs have ever been caught in the panels. It has only been my Shetlands. Maybe the Shetlands are too smart for their own good?

9 Responses to “I Can No Longer Endorse......”

  1. # Blogger Juliann

    My goodness Kim, I'm sorry about your ewe lamb. :( How horrific.  

  2. # Blogger Nancy K.

    Oh NO! What a waste!!
    I'm so sorry, Kim.
    Who was it?  

  3. # Blogger Kim Nikolai

    Hi Nancy,
    It was Shania, Brigid's ewe lamb out of Gentry. Beautiful modified ewe lamb.

    Kim  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh Kim, my heart goes out to you....such a tragedy.  

  5. # Blogger Becky Utecht

    So sorry to hear of your loss Kim. Can you could replace those panels with another type that has better spacing for the Shetlands?  

  6. # Blogger Ebonwald Cardigans

    kim that is just not acceptable for Premier! I know when I visited you said you had one that got her head caught occassionally. They need larger (or smaller) holes. Have you contacted them?

    I'm so sorry for your loss. No matter how you loose one, its always terrible.

    G  

  7. # Blogger Jenny Holden

    What an awful shame. We lost a North Country Cheviot ewe years ago when she hung herself on a silage feeder. To this day I can't believe she managed to do it!  

  8. # Blogger Tina T-P

    We've lost a lamb that way too - it is a constant worry until their greedy little heads get too big to push thru the wires - I think maybe they get stuck, struggle and then get bashed by somebody...

    Sorry for your loss - it is always so sad when it is so unnecessary.
    :-( T.  

  9. # Blogger Kathleen Stoltzfus

    Hi Kim,
    Thanks for your comment on http://tuliptreehill.blogspot.com/2008/10/putting-food-by.html . I'll definitely check out the book "Nourishing Traditions"!
    As to the bees, I think I'll give them a try. But I'll also be buying a complete and full suit so that nary a patch of skin will be exposed!
    Kathleen  

Post a Comment

My Photo
Name:
Location: Prior Lake, Minnesota, United States

I am a Shetland addict. I am a wool addict. I am a yarn addict. I love to spin, knit and raise sheep. I am owned by Emily and Rabb, my Border Collies who love to help me with the sheep. When I'm not knitting, spinning or taking care of my sheep, I work from home designing websites and as a XanGo Independent Distributor.

















Powered by Blogger



© 2006 Kimberwood Farm | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.